Friday, March 2, 2012

A Little Complaining Goes A Long Way

Michael and I got engaged Labor Day weekend in 2008. At that point, I assumed I would move to Austin, TX where Michael was working and owned a house. We decided we'd get married on Valentine's Day 2009 since it fell on a Saturday that year. It wasn't long after that Michael was offered a job in Singapore and was scheduled to start working there in January 2009. So, to handle all the official business of name changing and what not, we had a small legal ceremony November 14, 2008 and by the end of December we had chosen our home in Singapore and were preparing for our life overseas.

I didn't think too much about how drastically my life would change. My hubby worked long hours in Texas but only traveled twice a year and was usually home by 6 or 7pm. Completely manageable. His new job, however, required 50% travel and crazy long working hours. I was unprepared for the amount of time I would spend alone in my new home. Having left a job I loved to become a stay at home wife and having so much time to myself was a major adjustment. I needed to find ways to occupy my time that were meaningful to me while trying to navigate a new culture. I also had to learn a true respect and acceptance of my husband's working hours and work happily with the time we did have together instead of with an attitude of "it's not enough". This took some serious thought and effort on my part and the first year was very tough for me emotionally. Eventually, I was able to strike a good balance and a good attitude about the whole thing (mostly).

When we moved to Switzerland, I thought I knew what to expect. I was 7 months pregnant and extremely focused on our impending arrival. I figured Michael would work the same hours and be gone just as much but I had a bundle of joy to tend to so it was all good. What I didn't anticipate was the amount of time my friends would be gone in Basel. People are allotted a lot of vacation time in Switzerland so I found that there would be weeks where everyone left town (including my hubby on business trips) for a few weeks except me!! In Singapore it was ok because I could leave too. I could travel with my hubby or do my own thing no problem. But now I had a baby and couldn't just leave at the drop of a hat.

I would mention this to my husband, how much I hated being left alone with the baby while everyone else was on vacation and he was traveling. After a while, it turned into down right complaining and as we were approaching the first long holiday of the year I'm sure it was worse (OK, I know it was worse). Finally he said, "well, plan a vacation and we'll go too." YAY!!!!!!!!!!! So, all that long story to say, this is how we ended up in Morocco this week.

As our week here comes to a close, I was just thinking about all this and how thankful I am that we are here together and I'm not home alone with my precious son missing my friends and husband and wishing we were somewhere else. It only took me 18 months in Switzerland to figure out how to better strategically plan our vacation time but as I'm learning on this expat journey, learning things takes time and that process is not always easy.

I hate to get gushy on everybody but today I am so thankful for my husband who is so dedicated to his work but also 110% dedicated to his family. He has a lot on his plate to balance and does it with love and ease. I am also thankful for my son who is an amazing explorer and adventurer. He has enhanced my life in ways I never thought possible. I know when things aren't easy, I can think on these memories we've made this week and remember how truly blessed I am.

Morocco, we will miss you. Switzerland, I hope you've warmed up at least a little you chilly country you.








1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having a great vacation. I'm sure you have both earned the time away from reality. Even though Mickey brings a little reality to every day he is so sweet too...that he can only make the memories more sweet. Love you all. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete