Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

My experience today was especially fitting for today, International Women's Day.

The day was going ok. I went to class, took the baby to a doctor's appointment and then spent the day playing. Our usual playmates were sick so in the afternoon, we went to visit our neighbor. Some of our friends were over and it was time for me to head home and bathe and feed my son. As we walked out the door, I accidentally slammed his tiny fingers in the door!!! It caught his hand right at the door hinges and he started wailing. We all ran to comfort him and tears immediately filled my eyes. I felt sooooo bad!! He calmed down as soon as the pain was gone but I was a different story. I felt awful for causing my son pain  and was trying so hard to stop my tears in front of everyone but was having trouble. The women began sharing stories of times they accidentally hurt their children (or other people's children) and the tears turned into laughter. My neighbor later came to check on me and I was reminded of all the women in my life who have been (and are still) mentors, teachers and most importantly, friends to me in the most meaningful ways.

I think about my junior high and high school voice and choir teacher who pushed me towards excellence even when it was so hard. My lifelong besties who I could share everything with and who stuck by me when I was growing into the adult I would become. The amazing women I worked with who managed life and work with confidence and ease. The women who became wives and mothers around the same time as me who walk through the challenges of marriage and motherhood with me each day. My life coach who is my cheerleader (and friend) who has helped me achieve healing from past pain and continues to push me towards achieving my goals. The women who have adopted me overseas (my true extended family) who are incredible mothers and friends and help me navigate through the muddy waters of living in different cultures while establishing my home and family. My mother, sister, grandmothers, aunties and mother-in-law who are a constant support system and are always there for me through good and bad. The women of faith who pray for me and my family as we face challenges and are blessed.

All the women I know have overcome challenges and are moving through their lives with grace and gusto. Today I am especially thankful to have them as examples of faith, hope and strength. I know that when you look at the women in your life you will say the same.

To all the women I know, thank you for being such an integral part of my life and helping shape who I am. I am thankful for you and celebrate you today.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, I cried when I read this. I am so humbled that you should think of me as having been an influence on your life. I am utterly touched. Thank you for making my day, truly. --Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete